Tourist Office
+33(0)5 62 99 92 00
or +33 (0)5 62 99 95 35

9am-12am and 12pm-6pm
open everyday during the season

wifi free
En direct des pistes

15 juillet 2019, Peyragudes

Enneigement :
bas: 0 cm
haut: 140 cm
+all information

25 mars 2019, Val Louron

Enneigement :
bas: 20 cm
haut: 75 cm
+all information

Follow Us

Suivez-nous sur Pinterest


Tower of Génos

During the conflicts of the 9th and 10th centuries, Vallée du Louron was plundered by Saracen groups. Watchtowers were built in the High Middle Ages in order to keep watch on enemies, firstly, and, later, to protect themselves from Moors’ attacks. The greatest towers were located in Bordères-Louron, Estarvielle and Génos. Towers could be part of a castle or be surrounded by a simple wall. They all were square and had one only entrance that led to a room crowned with a vault that served as roof. Guardians could access to the top through a hole made on the vault with the aid of a simple ladder.

The tower of Génos was built on a place where the valley narrows next to the slate quarries. Thus, they could watch the south and the mouths of Clarabide and Vallée de Pez’s gorges. In addition, they could communicate with other towers in case of danger by means of their three signals: diverse rhythms played wooden drums, fire signals or sending a carrier pigeon. It’s said that there was an underground passage that connected the towers of Génos and Moulor…


Tower of Moulor

The castle of Moulor was built in the 12th century. The noble fiefdom covered a part of the current territories of the municipalities of Germ, Loudervielle, Armenteule , Aranvielle and some areas of Larboust, the neighboring valley.

The great tower and the chapel belonged to the Lords of Montlaur, vassals of the barons of Spain – Montespan (Patrimony guidebook, Vallée du Louron, Canton of Bordères-Louron by Pierre-Yves Corbeel, Aurel Bongiu, Sykvie Decottignies and Oliver Renaudeau.) The last members of the Lords of Moulors’ family who inhabited the castle died between 1753 and 1754.